Good Stewards of the Environment
OCRSW takes a proactive approach to environmental stewardship and implements projects and programs to enhance the quality of life for the region through a cleaner, safer environment. Our vision for the future includes continuing to increase integrated materials management and decreasing waste quantities that require landfilling.
Our proactive approach meets and exceeds the strict environmental protection standards set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (WDNR). These efforts have been recognized with awards from our industry peers.
We are proud to be at the forefront of ongoing and evolving regional materials management, implementing a number of environmentally friendly measures, including:
- Co-composting of yard materials and wastewater bio solids.
- Installation of landfill gas systems to maximize capture of renewable energy.
- State of Art Renewable Natural Gas Facility coming on line
- Conversion to single-stream curbside and commercial recycling through development of regional Material Recovery Facility.
- Development of on-site beneficial landfill uses for residual Material Recovery Facility materials.
- Incorporation of leachate recirculation piping to achieve one form of bioreactor technology.
- Actively monitoring 128 groundwater wells to ensure nothing is leaching from the landfill.
- Use of ground monitoring cameras for litter control, particularly during high wind events.
- Active management of EPA defined universal wastes.
- Diversion of usable materials to save airspace and prolong landfill service life.
- Recycling of construction and demolition materials for secondary use in their respective markets.
- Preparation of joint procurements by the Tri-County group to seek the best possible solutions for electronic, pharmaceutical, tire, household hazardous waste, and construction and demolition material management.
Read about us in our Education Center >
Click here for directions. >
Contact Outagamie County Recycling & Solid Waste. >